Frequently Asked Questions 

1. What vaccinations are required?

Click the following link for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated data regarding the required and suggested vaccinations:

You will need each of the following updated vaccinations:

measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (DTap), varicella (more commonly known as chickenpox). polio, and Typhoid Fever

2. Is malaria or rabies a hazard in Bali?

In the nearly 20 years that this field school has been held, there has been no cases of malaria among the students or instructors so no medication is required.

There has been no transmission of rabies between the monkeys and humans in Bali despite that they have been living closely with one another for hundreds of years.

3. Do I need to speak Indonesian or Balinese?

No.  You will not need to speak Indonesian or Balinese to navigate your way through Bali and many of the islands of Indonesia.  It’s always good to know some Indonesian or Balinese, and the local people will appreciate your attempts to learn their language!!!

4. How much spending money should I bring?

This of course depends on your life style.  You will need money for lunches during the week and money for weekend meals.  If you leave Ubud (the village we will be working) you will need funds for taxis and hotels. We encourage the students to explore Bali, as it has some of the world’s most amazing beaches and is a fantastic destination to surf, snorkel, scuba dive, and shop. You will want some spending cash to buy gifts for yourselves and others!

5. Are there ATMs in Bali?

Yes, there are several ATMs.  Double check with your bank to determine what your fees will be for withdrawing money.  Keep in mind you will pay a fee for all the ATMs you use abroad.

6. What documentation do I need to bring to travel to Indonesia?

You will need a passport that is valid for at least six months from the day of entry.  Your passport must have two blank pages.  You will be able to visit the country for 30 days.   

Click the U.S State Department’s website for more information regarding the appropriate travel requirements for entering Indonesia:

7. What type of visa is required to enter Indonesia?

You will need a Social/Cultural Visa from the Republic of Indonesia. Before the field school begins, we will discuss the requirements for the visa, how you go about acquiring the visa, and when to get the visa before embarking for the field school. 

8. How many college credits will I receive?

You will receive six university credits.  Some student will be eligible for graduate credits.  The course number(s) and course title(s) will be dependent on university you have enrolled in (i.e. East Carolina University or the University of North Carolina-Wilmington).

9. What books and articles should I read?

Upon acceptance we will send you a syllabus with a reading list.  But if you contact us, we can make many suggestions.

To contact us, please fill out the fields below

Name *